Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ode to Aging

An event has journeyed with me since birth.  Its passing marked my infancy, childhood, youth, and adulthood.  It followed me from acne to age spots and from dental floss to dentures.  This monumental event is looked forward to by a child and resisted by an adult.  It has passed with fanfare and with a whimper.  This event is called a birthday and though my next one is a few months away I see them pass faster with each advancing year.

As a child I took One-a-Day and now there is not one day I don't take fifteen pills.  My pill box expands each year as does the number of doctors I have to see.  My ode to aging reminds me of the things I have done and the regrets I may possess. 

I was not much of a dancer in school and now I dance with Arthiritis.  I have lotions for pain and soft skin.  I have lifts for fallen arches and glasses for my eyes.  Each couple of years I need new prescriptions for glasses and at present have trifocals.  Since my twelveth year I have worn glasses and was called four eyes.  Does this now mean I would be calleed 12-eyes by children?

With each birthday the amount of candles increase on my cake and someday I expect I will need an Open Burning permit from the fire department to celebrate that date.  I think I better get a fire extingquisher before August. 

I have Facebook to remind me of my friends birthdays.  While they someday remind me of mine?  One day I will no longer have them and will walk into heaven to meet my Savior.  I know it will be heaven when I see Him but I hope we don't have birthdays there.  Could you imagine the flames from an eternity of candles?

Proverbs 16:31 (New International Version, ©2010) Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness. Does this mean the few hair I have left after each passing year means a less splendid crown? No, because the bible also says God knows the number of hairs on my head.  I guess this means he also knows subtraction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment