Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A God Perspective in the Midst of Troubles

Watching the movie, Soul Surfer, I heard the idea that when we are in the midst of a trial we may be too close and need a new perspective.  I saw a young girl loses an arm and yet continues to surf, and would become a professional surfer. I learned this same lesson twenty years ago.

I was planning to lead a missions trip to New England with students from across the country for Delta Ministries.  I had figured the money I would need to support my family for the month I would be gone as well as the cost of the plane and the trip itself.  After sending out letters and more letters for support, all that came was money enough for the plane fare.  A friend suggested I go to his favorite place in the Blue Ridge Mountains called Petites Gap to pray.  On the way, my heart became heavier and heavier.  I sensed the enemy trying to stop me from getting there.  Also, it was beginning to rain and clouds covered the top of the mountain.  Finally, I said aloud, "Satan, you will not stop me from praying!"  The pressure left my chest and I arrived at the place.  As I walked through the woods I found this friend's prayer place.  It was a little stone outlook built decades before and it overlooked the Roanoke Valley.  I prayed Psalm 51 first and then I prayed for the need.  It had begun to drizzle again, and I suddenly heard birds chirping.  As a boy from the city I thought birds were quiet during rain.  When I met with my friend he reminded me that if God can take care of the smallest bird he would take care of me.

On this overlook, the Roanoke Valley, the farms, the people looked so small.  From my eyes they were tiny but in God's perspective they were important.  I contacted Delta and told them what was happening and they said to come anyway.  When I got to Portland, MA I had to sign a form for the trip and half was paid.  I would be responsible to the balance when I got home.  After the trip I got a letter back in Lynchburg and thought I would have a debt to pay.  When I opened the letter, it was paid in full.  What had happened?

I learned a few things from the prayer journal we were to keep.  One, God had a sense of humor because I had gone to college/grad school in Rhode Island and our first place was a small inner city church in Providence, Rhode Island.  Secondly, I learned to look into the eyes of everyone instead of their skin color.  There was a song out by Sandy Patty which said she has her father's eyes.  I realized I still had prejudice for people learned from my parents in the south.  If I looked into a person's eyes I could see the eyes of the Father.  God is color-blind and I would have to learn the same lesson to be a pastor.

I learned never to underestimate God's plan for me.  In the midst of what I thought was a crisis I learned to God there are no problems.  I also learned as a pastor to be I might have needs but God would cover them in his time and for my growing faith. 

I didn't lose and arm nor have to struggle to stand up on a board with one arm to continue with my passion.  I just had to learn in the midst of my walk with God to seek after his perspective instead of my own.  If he has the whole world in his hands he can see far more than my view to the horizon. 

A new perspective in the midst of trouble--get away and pray and seek God's voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment