Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Water, Water, Everywhere and No Water Pressure

This morning I awoke to no water pressure due to a waterline break in our town.  A town farther north had a main line break and they have set up water stations to provide water to the town's people.  The need to get ready without water for shower, shaving, and brushing of teeth gave me a different perspective.  I do not camp.  I hate the idea of sleeping on the ground with small six legged creatures or worse, no legged creatures which slither and slide across the ground.  My form of camping is a Holiday Inn with a black and white television.  I am not Charles Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie either.  I do not find pleasure in hunting and fishing.  However, when I play golf I do actually hunt and fish.  When my golf ball goes into the woods, then I am hunting for my ball.  When it goes into the water, I fish it out.

It was funny having no water IN my house but God was providing a rain shower outside.  When I was a kid I tried to tell my mother I did not need to take a bath because I had been playing in the rain in Orlando.  NO GO!  To my mother a bath was a requirement for childhood.  Washing my hair and body, and of course my ears, which never seemed to get clean enough for her, was a nightly routine.  You never think about water till it is missing.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God, When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” Psalm 42:1-3

Likewise, there are times when my soul literally is dying of thirst for God.  During times of crisis or calamity water becomes one of the first things needed for life.  In the life of a believer, God is needed during those same times.  Jesus tells us if we drink the living water it will become a spring.  Oases were needed by shepherd to water their flocks along the way and a wise shepherd knew their locations and if during a summer drought if they would still have water.  The great Psalm of the Shepherd tells us he leads us beside the still water.  Sheep love still water while they get nervous around rushing water.  Our shepherd does not take us to a place of agitation or irritation but feeds and waters us in lush and quiet surroundings. 

In times when tears flow down my cheeks, instead of others I need to seek after God.  He alone will bring me to a quiet rest.  He alone will provide for my needs of food and water.  Why?  Because he paid such a huge price to have me--his Son.  If you made a sacrificial offering in the Bible, it would cost you something.  God made a sacrificial offering of his son--and it cost his greatly.  I am his beloved because he bought me and brought me to himself.  Benwood may not have had any water this morning, but in God I am refreshed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment