Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

An Aroma Better Than Cologne

As a teenager of the seventies, I remember the various commercials for men's cologne.  There were such names as Hai Karate, Canoe, Jovan Musk, Brut, and my favorite, British Sterling.  I never could afford it as a teen, but I loved the commercial.  A man standing in the country is met by a beautiful woman in a rather low cut dress riding on a huge horse.  She bends down from the side-saddle position with a silver tray in her hand and presents to the man in a tweed jacket a bottle with a silver cap.  The end of the commercial goes this way, "All my men wear British Sterling or they were nothing at all!"  It was an effective commercial if I can remember is forty years later. 


The most expensive cologne today for men is Clive Christian #1 Pure Perfume for Men.  It is according to Lux Millionare a sweet floral smell with a touch of masculinity.  This smell can be yours to impress people with for $2,350 a bottle.  As a young man my selection of colognes was generally female-induced.  Each girl I dated had a particular scent they liked and I would go and purchase it for our dates; I had many different bottles in the medicine cabinet.  Today I have one special one for Vicki--Polo, since I have just one lady to impress. 

Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account. Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:17-19 (NIV)

 Paul was writing to the church at Philippi and thanking them for their support.  It is said this church had sacrificed before sending Paul aid and he is reminding them of God's benevolence to supply them of all they need.  When believers support causes out of their abundance it is a like the offerings of the Old Testament.  The Peace offering was the only one of the five sacrifices which was shared between God, the priests, and the giver.  It was a voluntary act of worship and if it was for the purpose of thanksgiving, it was to be totally consumed the day of sacrifice. 

In the church today believers are given opportunities beyond the tithe to show thanksgiving to God by a voluntary act of worship called an offering.  These offerings help special causes, ministries, or people and are a sweet smelling aroma to God.  They probably smell better to God than the most expensive cologne does to us and it gives me a chance to show Him how thankful I am for all he has done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment