Search This Blog

Friday, December 9, 2011

Our Own Worst Enemy

When I envisioned doing a daily blog taking daily events and combining scriptural teaching, I thought it would be rather easy.  Often times though I find myself stuck with "writer's block."  Many events happen but I find myself glued to my keyboard unable to write.  I begin to wonder if people really read or enjoy my blog or if the things I write really help others as they help me in my Christian walk.  I at times can be my own worst enemy. 



Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1-2 NIV)

Sometimes as believers we find ourselves debasing, depreciating or destroying ourselves, perhaps because of things which we have done in the past, and fail to live as someone whom Christ has set us free.  It's like a set of tapes playing over and over again reminding us of just how bad we are.  I have a friend who for years had an older answering machine with a tape of George Burns reprising his role of God in the movie, "Oh God!".  His wife worked for a Bell Company and I know he could have them with their electronic voicemail, but for over twenty years since graduation it answered the phone's thousands of calls until it finally broke.  The last time I called I commended him for FINALLY changing that tape.

We fail to fully understand the completeness of the Christ's sacrifice.  The Law, which we once slaughtered by our rebellion against God, has a requirement of righteousness we could never fulfill.  His death pardoned us!  A presidential pardon can be arranged which removes the legal records of crime or crimes committed, but the person pardoned will remember it for the rest of their life.  For those who have been pardoned by Christ, we need to learn to renew our minds with the very words of Paul which states, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
(Romans 7:24-25a NIV)

No longer can my mind remind me of my past! Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" No longer can it tell me I am unworthy!  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" No longer do I need to worry about what others might remember of me or my deeds!  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Finally I have no right to depreciate, debase, or destroy that which Christ suffered and died!  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

I may never be a writer like Frost or Hemingway and it's O.K.  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

No comments:

Post a Comment