Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Becoming A Model Maker

As a kid I loved making models of cars, planes, and even rockets.  These miniature copies were made of plastic or wood and required time and effort.  These kits usually were 1/12th scale which meant the real thing was twelve times larger but the model was designed to mimic the original.   Of course, once finished they were displayed on a young boy's shelf.  The model rockets were not for display purposes but with the addition of a solid fuel propellant engine these models could soar thousands of feet into the Orlando sky.  With America in the space race during my childhood, model rocket clubs were made up of kids coming together to test their skills and abilities in rocket making, launching and recovery. 

I am no longer making models of rockets or cars but have turned my skills to a higher purpose.  Today I am again taking Stefani with me as she volunteers with hospice.  Modeling service to others is not something which is taught but is modeled for her to see and while our desire is to do things which benefit us and then to others, Christ shows a different model. 

As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:10-12(NIV)

In our service we serve with the strength God supplies.  I am told over and over again by people that as a hospice chaplain, "It must take a special person to do what you do."  The real answer is not that I am special but I minister or model the One I serve so God can be glorified.  Yesterday I had the chance to pray with a co-worker for him and the hospice families he provides with care.  I hope I modeled to him Jesus Christ so maybe someday he will model him as well. 

Models of plastic may be put on a shelf, but like the Estes model rockets which we launched, models of Christ are to be put to work. 

I have a special concern for you church leaders. I know what it's like to be a leader, in on Christ's sufferings as well as the coming glory. Here's my concern: that you care for God's flock with all the diligence of a shepherd. Not because you have to, but because you want to please God. Not calculating what you can get out of it, but acting spontaneously. Not bossily telling others what to do, but tenderly showing them the way. 1 Peter 5:1-3 (The Message)

Today's prayer:  Heavenly Father, you have given me a great model to follow.  He served others by surrendering his life.  Help me to surrender my life to you so I may tenderly show others the Way.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment