Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

How To Make God Laugh

They say if you want to make God laugh--just make plans.  As I was doing the slalom on the highway coming to work at 70 MPH (legal in WV) I was making plans for spring.  Thinking about flowers in boxes and in the flower beds, I was wondering about the colorful display of God's imagination in flowers.  I had put on a short-sleeved shirt and no jacket to a fifty degree morning.  Then I heard it--six inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow.

In 1983 I started college to earn a degree in the hotel industry.  After graduation I would earn a certificate as a hotel administration.  Life was good.  New house! New car! Aaaahhh!  But God had other plans and soon I was questioning the call to ministry.  Three years of questions lead to seminary.  Twenty years later I am not in the hotel business or anything I had planned. 

We sing the hymn, "I Surrender All" in church.  Do we really mean "all"?  Maybe we have exemptions for God like, "I will go anywhere but _________________ Lord!"  Maybe, "God, I need you to send me this amount of money to make me happy!"  Surrender means give up or cede your rights to anythng and everything.

I hope I have given God alot to laugh about recently.  I had already taken out my spring clothes.  Oh well.  Back to jackets and gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment