Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

God’s GPS (Glorified, Perfect, Son)

In West Virginia until a few years ago, driving the back roads was usually by visual reckoning.   You might hear such directions as, “drive till you get to the fork in the road by the Jones place, but they don’t live there anymore, but we still call it that, and go till you see…”  Five years ago after complaining about getting lost going to visitations, my wife got me a GPS for Christmas.  I was so excited I went out to my car with a five year old Stefani in tow.  When the system was powered up, the female voice came on directing me to the next screen.  Stefani pipes up, “Daddy, now you have three women to listen to!”  I said, “Three?”  She continues, “Me, Mommy and GPS.”  My GPS is well used as a chaplain and at times, I have gone my own way with the GPS repeating, “Recalculating…recalculating, etc.”  One day I expect it to say after I have refused to listen to it, “Fine, I will just sit here on the dash and you can find your own way!” 

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!” Matthew 17:3-5
(NIV)

Many times in the Gospels you see Jesus saying, “He who has ears, let him hear…”  We need to understand to the people of the Bible the word hear was more than sound waves vibrating on the ear drum.  Hearing included the required action of doing.  In twenty years of ministry I have heard people remark they did not get anything from the sermon.  The problem is they had no intention of putting the sermon to action in their lives.  As Christians we at times ask God for more and more understanding of his plan but have we put into use the things he has already revealed?  Just like my GPS will give me directions to a particular place, unless I am willing to follow them, why use it to get directions? 

God told the three disciples who witnessed the transfiguration of Jesus to hear his Son.  Jesus is God’s Glorified, Perfect, Son and he has already given us the words, principles, and instructions of what God has for us if we follow the directions.  Don’t let what you know God wants you to do sit on the dashboard, put them into use to get where he wants you to be. 

To those who have ears, let him hear~!



No comments:

Post a Comment