Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

How To Refresh The Master

Growing up in Florida I would mow lawns for extra money.  The deal was my brother and I could charge $2 a lawn and had to give half to my mother to pay back Sears for the purchase of the mower.  One time she got us a job for some friends who lived about a mile away.  Robert and I walked the mower to their house and our jaws dropped as we saw the lawn had not been mowed in at least three weeks.  It took us three days to complete the job in the hot Florida sun but Mom would not ask for more money from the people.  Robert and I almost cried as we looked at the single dollar bill.  I tell this story to introduce this passage of Scripture because for three days we drank and drank and drank plenty of water. 
Like a snow-cooled drink at harvest time is a trustworthy messenger to the one who sends him; he refreshes the spirit of his master... Proverbs 25:13 (NIV)
God sent the most trustworthy messenger he knew to tell the world of himself--his Son.  His Son knew his father's words, actions, thoughts as well as the image of the Father in bodily form. He would not do anything without God's direction or speak on his own but the words of his Father.  Many of us have seen people make all kinds of statements and promises of what a particular thing can do.  I love those Christmas commercials for such things as the Clapper et al. which are cheap commercial gimmicks to get impulsive people to purchase inferior products.  Jesus as the trustworthy messenger just spoke what he knew was true. 
The word witness is the Greek has been taken today to mean someone who has died for their faith--martyr.  Jesus tell us we are to be his witnesses and all we have to do is to report to others what we have seen.  Of course I have never seen Jesus or the wind, but just as I welcomed the cool breeze cutting the lawn, I did not doubt its existence.  I can see the changes in me and can show others the existence of God, His Son and the Spirit by a sustained walk.  No hype! No false claims! Just the real truth and trying to be a trustworthy messenger and provide a refreshing to the One who sends me.   



No comments:

Post a Comment