Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2011

Toothache, God, and Me

As I lay in bed typing this blog, I have taken both pain pills and an antibiotic to begin to deal with an abscessed tooth.  I left early from work because of the pain to get the needed medicine while I await the dentist on Monday.  I like our dentist because he is a Christian brother and we both go to the Vineyard Church in Wheeling, but I hope he knows when he sees me on Monday I will be a walking bowl of Jell-O.  Even though I hear of the advances in pain control in dentistry, the next forty-eight hours of waiting to see Keith may be as painful as the tooth.  I am a self-confessed dental coward so please pray for me. 

Keep me from stupid sins, from thinking I can take over your work; Then I can start this day sun-washed, scrubbed clean of the grime of sin. These are the words in my mouth; these are what I chew on and pray.  Accept them when I place them on the morning altar, O God, my Altar-Rock, God, Priest-of-My-Altar.  Psalm 19:13-14  (The Message)

At work we have a team of nurses, a social worker, aides, and me to extend care to our patients.  I am not permitted to do anything medical or discuss medical conditions or treatments our patients face because in the field of medicine, I am not equipped.  I am also not equipped to be GOD, even though I might try.  When I gave my life to Christ, it was more than to save my soul from the wages of sin.  I ceded over to him the control and accept with humility his right to change my agenda any time he desires.  Once I have reminded myself of his sovereignty, I am like the sheets my mom washed and hung outside to dry; linen which is clean with a fragrance which only comes from hanging in the fresh air.  These thoughts of his ultimate control of me and the desire to be clean before him are the basis for my prayers. 

As the pain pills are having their effect, I am relaxing almost to the point of sleep.  With GOD I do not need medicine to relax.  Unlike Monday’s dental appointment, I have nothing to fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment