Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Man's Momma

I lost my mom in 1996 five days before Christmas.  It was a very hard holiday without her.  However, over the fifteen years since she has been gone God has given me a mother in law.  When I was a child I told my mom I would take care of her in her old age but death took her before I could fulfil that promise.  A man's momma is not far from his heart but I have kept that pledge with Nan-Nan. 

Paul commends Timothy to remain steadfast to the teachings given to him by his momma and grandma.  My mother was also concerned for my religious upbringing.  She even went against doctors orders four months before she died to travel to Massachusetts to see her son ordained.  She could not be there for my graduation of college or seminary, so she was not going to miss this chance even if it would mean it would tire her because of her COPD and emphysema.

Mom's seem to have a extra gene for strength.  They rise early and go to bed late taking care of their family.  My mom suffered with back pain, heart disease, and difficult sons.  She was devoted to a husband and taught us what forgivneness meant.  Life was not easy for her but quitting was not a word she could use.

Mom, I miss you.  I am caring for my mother in law in your stead.  There is not a July birthday which passes we do not think of you.  I cried a tear coming from the delivery room with Stefani for a child you would never know.  You can take comfort knowing Stefani has a Nan-Nan, but I kinda wish she knew you.

Mom, I wish you were her but I know you are in the presence of God.  Someday Mom we will see each other.  Until that time, I have another mom to care for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment