Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

What Is It That Makes You Special

Growing up in the south, one of the phrases you hear with a very long drawl would be, "Ain't you somethin' special."  This was not at times a good phrase, usually spoken to someone who thought the world revolved around them.  Southerners have a kind way of putting someone in their place.  If you are special in your own eyes perhaps it is because others do not think you are.  We try to overcompensate for things we might lack--such as someone thinking we are #1 in their life. 

In my book, Broken Vows Shattered Lives, it says one of the reasons we love the idea of engagement is that above all others we have been selected by someone who loves us.  The pain of divorce is great because we have now been de-selected.  When someone loves us and thinks we are special, it makes our day.  I can remember my first girl friend in elementary school.  Her name was Holly.  I would walk her to the school bus stop and carry her books.  She never told me if she felt special, but what can you expect from a six year old first grader.

One of the words the Bible uses to speak of our specialness is the word--beloved.  It means the requirements to have a relationship have been satisfied because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.  It comes from the idea of a scale which is balanced and both sides are equal.  I am not equal with God, but the requirements of righteousness have been satisfied because of Jesus.  I am special to God and no one can take that specialness away from me.  Also, because he does not change his mind, he will not de-select me. 

In dating, we show someone special by the kind acts we do--flowers, candy, or taking someone out to a special and usually expensive restaurant.  These kind acts try to convey to the object of our affection what we think of them.  When I was in high school I would spend hours getting ready for a date.  Wash the car and vacuum it clean, wash the windows and then wax it to show a girl how much she meant to me.  Thanks goodness Vicki knows she is special to me.

God also acts to show me how special I am.  He loves me regardless of my walk with him.  He calls me back into a loving relationship with silken bonds.  He loves me enough to say no and loves me enough to say, "You messed up!"  He loves me enough to correct those mistakes and loves me enough to love me when I repent.   He loves me enough to make me a child of his and a joint heir with my Savior, Jesus.  It sure is nice to be special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment