Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Celebration of Family

Last night individuals from around the Washington, PA area gathered to celebrate family.  Gathered together were spouses, children, caregivers, and friends united by a single word: compassion.  They all had cared for family members as they faced the last weeks, days, and moments of life together with Southern Care Hospice.  What we did was celebrate these caregivers as part of our family at Southern Care.

With stirring Christian music, prayers, and a guest speaker who had lost his mother just before Christmas, this new family gathered to embrace one another as soldiers who have shared a tough battle. We shared time, food, fellowship, memories and future plans as any other family.  There were tears shared, arms lifted up, words to encourage, and spoken but private prayers for those who had recently lost a dear one.  

There were also special moments to share.  One our family's had welcomed me into their home hours before he passed away to anoint him and offer a blessing.  He proclaimed to his wife I was her son and last night my new mom brought me a cheesecake, my favorite dessert.  My new mom also said I had to share it with her new daughter in law and grandchild.  Oh well.  At least I had a small piece.  Thanks Mom!

Family is held together by what they share and what they do.  Today I was listening to the radio on the way to work and heard the 1974 folk rock song, Cat's in the Cradle.  The song's creation has a bit of reality with someone Harry Chapin knew had a father and son relationship much like the song.  The sad and mournful thought at the end, "He'd grown up just like me, My boy was just like me." spoke about a family which had no connection.  Last night we were and will always be family united sadly by death but united by compassion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment