Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

From Childish Faith to Maturing Faith

As a child I had an American Flyer Sante Fe diesel train set with all types of cars, houses, people, and businesses on a board beneath my bed.  When I wanted to play with it, all I had to do was slide it out.  I would spend hours imagining myself as the engineer, moving the train into the yard to pick up things for the cars and then on my way.  Just for laughs I looked at what this system would cost today.  Just the engine system of three cars was nearly five hundred dollars. 

When we speak of new Christians, they are referred to as babes in Christ.  John in his first epistle speaks to fathers, young men and children and commends them for their spiritual progress.  Christian growth moves from the knowledge of the forgiveness of sins, to the withstanding attacks of the evil one, and finally the knowledge of one who the Alpha and Omega.  In the last part, a Christian who knows Christ and how he lived may well be able to relinquish this world and its allure. (Matthew Henry Commentary)

Paul says in I Corinthians 13 he has put away childish speech, thought and reason.  As an adult I think back to my childhood and the foolish thoughts and actions of my youth and regret many of them.  The same can be said of my Christian growth.  As a babe in Christ I was only focusing on the fact my sins were forgiven.  In time, I learned about the attacks of the enemy and what was needed to fend off the assault.  As I continue to grow in Christ, the things of this world which fascinated and attracted me no longer have an appeal.  Given Paul's words in Ephesians 4 of why God has given the church leaders, it shows the need to instruct believers so they can grow and attain the full measure of Christ. 

Some Christians will stay as babes and be tossed around like a cork on the ocean wave or blown around like leaves.  Just as growing up requires determination, so does maturing Christian faith.  We know adults who act more like children then their own children.  Likewise, some Christians will get saved and remain in the same seat in the church until they are removed by the pall beareres at their funeral.  Others will remember their first love, Christ, and seek to be just like him in mature speech, thought, reason, and ultimately, service. 


No comments:

Post a Comment