Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What Are You Expecting?

Many of us who grew up eating Heinz ketchup remember the commercials of the slow-moving, sweet, red sauce oozing from the mouth of the bottle onto a plate of golden french fries.  Not wanting to wait, some people pound the bottle with the palm of their hands, sometimes with horrible results on the clothing of someone across from you.  The Heinz bottle has been in our kitchen refrigerator for as long as I can remember beside their mustard and relish.  Oswald Chambers writes, "Always be in a state of expectancy, and see that you leave room for God to come in as He likes."  In Lamentations 3:24-26 the author writes: "I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD."

However in this fast paced world, expectancy has been replaced by the need for immediacy.  Microwave or convection ovens replaced the conventional oven we had in our homes as children and have reduced cooking time. In the three to four hours it takes to make bread, we can run to the 7-11, make a sandwich and get in a quick round of golf.  For a few years the super-sonic jets from Europe to the United States reduced travel time for those who could afford the price.  Once on a trip to Orlando, we were stopped on I-4's eight lane highway during rush hour traffic.  My daughter asked what was happening and she returned with another question.  "Daddy, do we have traffic jams in Wellsburg?" (population less than 3,000)  "Yes, baby girl," I replied, "Two cars at a red light." 

Some people pray expecting answers like the service at fast-food restaurants--you speak into a faceless speaker, drive around to pay money and pick up your food.  We get irritated because God has not immediately responded to our request.  Job felt the same way:  "If I called and He answered me,
I could not believe that He was listening to my voice." Job 9:16   We want God to supply all of our needs according to our timetable.  I was told to finish the Sunday morning service by 12 Noon because this group had other things to do.  My answer was if we are going to spend eternity in heaven worshipping God, should we not practice worship now in anticipation of heaven? 

We rush from the rising of the sun till well after dark to accomplish our agenda and may be too busy to allow God to come in as He likes.  We schedule him like an appointment refusing to listen because it is not God & Me time. Once all my telephone did was ring when someone called but today it holds my agenda, calendar, and appointments.  I am so scheduled by others and myself I sometimes forget my expectation as a believer is to hear from One who loves me and wants to talk with me and listen to me. 
With caller ID I know if I want to answer the phone when it rings.  If God started using the phone to reach me I would surely answer that call.  I should not expect that to happen any time soon. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment